Village of Bal Harbour, Florida

The village of Bal Harbour was originally called “Bay Harbour,” but was changed because the planning committee didn’t think it was fitting for a beachfront area. They took the “b” from bay and “a l” from Atlantic and created “Bal” for the purposes of the name. From 1940-1946, the village struggled to become incorporated because there needed to be 25 registered male voters in the area before it could officially be incorporated. They finally reached their goal on August 14 of 1946.